What causes recurrent nausea and vomiting?

Question
I have nausea almost every day. It comes on suddenly and must vomit at once. However, vomiting doesn't always occur. I do not have any stomach per scope recently. I am sensitive to wheat and allergic to eggs and chicken.
where do I go now, I am presently keeping a food log.
I am on some medications at present time.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Chronic or recurrent nausea and vomiting can be due to different causes.

In general the causes can be divided into the following groups:
(1)visceral disease - the viscera refer to the organs in the body particularly the organs in the abdomen (liver, kidney, pancreas, stomach and intestines, spleen, gallbladder)

Examples of visceral causes are: (a) GERD- gastroesophageal reflux disease- reflux is a common cause that would be treated with change in eating habits (reducing acidic/spicy/fried/fatty foods) and also medication.

(b)hepatitis- inflammation of the liver
(c)cholecystitis- gallbladder disease. Liver function blood tests would be able to determine if there are any issues with the liver or gallbladder since they relate to each other
(d)obstruction of the intestines- this would normally also cause a change in stool frequency or straining.

(2)metabolic or toxic

Examples of metabolic or toxic causes are:
(a)side effect of medication
(b)kidney disease causing high levels of a chemical called urea
(c)high levels of calcium in the blood.

The kidney disease and calcium can be checked with a blood test

(3)central nervous system disease- this refers to the brain and spinal cord

Examples of central nervous system causes are:
(a)mass in the brain- this would normally be associated with other symptoms in most persons. Symptoms such as headache, altered vision
(b)vertigo- this is the feeling as though the room or person is spinning

(4)psychiatric illness

You may need to consider investigations such as full blood count and ESR (looks for inflammation in the body), liver function tests, kidney tests (urea and creatinine) , calcium levels.

IN addition, you may want to consider imaging of the abdomen and , based on symptoms, possibly brain imaging (only if there are any symptoms pointing in this direction)

Your medication should also be reviewed to see if they are contributing to your symptoms.

Summary: (1) can be due to different possible causes

(2)cause can be determined by history, examination of your abdomen and central nervous system and investigations

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions