What causes recurrent nausea and dizziness despite taking medication?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was prescribed Meclizine and Zofran in April of 2016 for nausea and dizziness. I Have not had theses symptoms for awhile and now they are back. I need to know if it is still safe for me to take one of these medications to alleiviate the nausea and dizziness I am once again experiencing
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
are safe medications, can be used

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, it is safe to use them again. They are safe medications.
If you were assessed in 2016 to determine the cause of the nausea and dizziness, then you may need to be seen by your doctor unless you have no response with the medication.

In some persons, despite physical examination and any necessary tests, the cause is not found.

In others it maybe due to:
(1) inner ear causes such as:BPPV, meniere's disease, vestibular neuronitis
(2) due to changes in blood pressure
(3)side effect of medication
(4)associated with headaches and migraines
(5)lesions of part of the brain called the brainstem or cerebellum
(6)lesions or masses in the ear

The last 2 are uncommon but are ruled out by imaging such as CT or MRI. There are also certain tests that are conducted by neurologists as well.

If you have not been assessed, then you should consider having testing done to find the underlying cause.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions