• question-icon

What causes recurrent low grade fever in a diabetic patient?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 78 years old. I recently have had a periodic, low grade fever (99.5 +/-) and noticed yesterday and again this a.m. that I had unusual 'orangish' strips along the sides of my tongue.

Other information: I have had periodic (minor) inflammation flare-ups of a peg tooth/bridge. I occasionally have to take an antibiotic for that condition, but not very often. I also have chronic high blood pressure (take medication).
Not a follow-up question--Follow up information. Also, I am a Type II diabetic. Have had high blood pressure (medication controlled) and Type II diabetes for over 40 years.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

There are numerous causes of low grade fever. It can be associated with almost any infective and inflammatory condition.

If no focus of infection or inflammatory process was identified then wait and see is the right approach. Commonly , viral illnesses can present with low grade fever, myalgias and weakness. These symptoms usually resolve by themselves within a week with lowering intensity. Acetaminophen for symptomatic relief from pain ,fever and plenty of fluids to remain hydrated is all that is needed.

The tongue needs to be examined by an oral physician. Commonly the side of the tongue has varied vessel appearance which is normal. However, if there is associated lymphadenopathy or a suspicious lesion then an oral brush biopsy can be offered to rule out other possibilities. It can be due to benign painful aphthous ulcers which are treated with antibiotics and b 12 , zinc plus folate supplementation.

Continue the antihypertensive and diabetes medication as usual.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil