What causes recurrent infections, pneumonia, fatigue, chest pain and productive cough?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: 53 year old man with recurrent infections, pneumonia, extreme fatigue, chest pain, coughing up phlegm and recently for the last few weeks, blood in urine with granules, pains in the groin glands and generally feeling unwell. Stomach bloats after eating also. Has been like this for over 8 months but Doctors seem to be getting nowhere.
Just received back some blood tests and would love your opinion on them.

I am wondering have I an autoimmune problem or a blood disorder.
Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.
Other recent blood tests showed ferritin levels very high. I will attach all.

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Connective Tissue Disorder has to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

I have gone through your reports in detail.

There is nothing wrong with your immunity as your routine blood counts are normal. Your complement system also seems to be adequate.

However we have to consider the possibility of Autoimmune Disorder esp connective tissue disorders as your ANF is positive. Ferritin levels are also raised.

You have not mentioned xray chest and ultrasound reports. Your recurrent pneumonias and now blood in the urine with flank pain can be a part of connective tissue disorder as these are multisystem disorders which may affect lungs and kidneys.

You need to consult a rheumatologist or an immunologist who may see and examine you in toto and come to a conclusion. Its not correct to take antibiotics repeatedly.

In the meanwhile I will suggest that if you are a smoker pl quit it. Alcohol should also be avoided. A balanced and healthy diet and avoiding junk food do boost the health. Some form of physical exercise esp walking should be included in one`s routine and at least 8 hrs of sleep per day is manadotry for a healthy body. These little things go a long way in maintaining good health.

Bloating could be because of IBS which may also be a part of autoimmune disorder. You may take a tablet of esomeprazole 40mg- 20 minutes before breakfast

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar