What causes recurrent fever when suffering from UTI?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my mother is 64 yrs of age and is under medication for high blood pressure. She she recovered from uti and after 2 days and now she's started having fever for 2 days a and her pressure is 96/62, should i worry.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She should be clinically examined & investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, I would suggest that she should be clinically examined and investigated.
Her blood pressure is on the lower side. Dose correction of the antihypertensive may be needed.

Recurrent fever can be due to recurrent Urinary Tract Infection ( UTI ).
I would also advise that following investigations may be done:-
1. Complete Blood Count ( CBC ).
2. Urine examination ( Routine / Microscopic and Culture / Sensitivity ).

Antibiotic can be planned according to the reports of the investigations mentioned above.
Symptomatic treatment with paracetamol 500mg can be taken for fever.
She should drink lots of water daily.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.