Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes recurrent fever accompanied by body pains?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2014
Mar 2014
Question
Hello Doctor
I have been having mild fever (99C) from past 1yr. Initially it was regular for 6 months post which the doctor admitted me to the hospital diagnosing me with urine infection. But the test results were negative for urine infection also. The fever now occurs every couple of weeks and stays for 3-4 days between 99-100 C. I fever is accompanied by body ache, weakness and loss of appetite.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I understand your query.

There are many reasons for longstanding fever.

The commonest causes in women are urine infections, malaria, typhoid and tuberculosis. For long standing cases tuberculosis is a common cause in XXXXXXX

There are other less common causes which are too many to discuss here. Also a slight rise in temperature is also common in very female during ovulation. So this may also be a physiological rise but it seldom goes till 100degree.

As of now, I suggest that you visit a physician [ MD Medicine] and get a complete examination. Choose a doctor that has experience in dealing with chronic cases. You will also need blood tests as well as urine tests and may be X rays to know the cause of fever. These may be done in a step by step manner or simultaneously as per your doctors advice after examination.

Only after the correct diagnosis is in place will it be possible to give proper treatment.

So just see a physician and get examined as well as complete investigations for a proper diagnosis.

Take care,

Dr Madhuri Bagde

Follow-up: What causes recurrent fever accompanied by body pains? 27 minutes later
I Have undergone a series of blood and urine tests, X Ray, Ultrasound etc... Have been tested for TB and Typhoid as well. All tests were negative. During the time when I had continuous fever for 6 months, Ovulation period was the only time when my body temperature was normal i.e 98.6 C.

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back,

In this case test for thyroid hyperfunction are needed. Also I would be glad if you are able to provide me with all the reports and when they have been done. If all routine tests are negative then specific tests to exclude the less common causes must now be done. Urine tests are negative for bacteria many times despite presence of infections. Proper collection of samples [ best to use first morning sample] is important to get correct results.

The uncommon causes of fever vary from problems in the heart [carditis ]to issues of the body defence mechanism [ immune disorders and diseases like HIV, SLE, APL, RA etc] , dengue, abscess, kidney disorders, certain cancers like leukemia and lymphomas and a condition called pyrexia of unknown origin where no apparent cause is found.

Most of the time a course of broad spectrum antibiotics is given when a cause is not found to see if there is a subclinical infection. A course of anti TB drugs are also used if there is clinical suspision despite negative tests. Most of the tests have a false negative rate wherein the tests come negative despite the disease being present. So repeated testing may be needed in chronic cases.

So it is better to keep in touch with a good physician and get the rare causes looked into and also a course of antibiotics.

I understand your issue.
Hope this helps.

Dr Madhuri