Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes recurrent ear pressure in right ear?

Answered by
Dr. Maheshwari

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 761 Questions

Posted on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 in General Health
Question: I have had recurrent pressure in my ears, especially my right ear. I feel like I am on an airplane. I have used a wax remover & have irrigated my ear canal with water & peroxide. I still do not feel much relief. I have no pain, fever. Only occasional vertigo. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Maheshwari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be endolymphatic hydrops.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the HCM,
Dear there is a compartment of the inner ear which is filled with the fluid ( endolymphatic fluid).
If there is any abnormality in the quantity ,composition or pressure of endolymphatic fluid (endolymphatic hydrops).It causes these type of symptoms with vertigo.

There can either be no known cause of endolymphatic hydrops like idiopathic menier's disease or associated with head trauma,ear surgery ,or allergies and systemic disorders like diabetes etc

It is diagnosed on clinical basis and audiometry (hearing test ) and electrocochleography ( which tests the response of eigth cranial nerve to clicks or tones presented to the ear.
Also if there is any systemic disorder ,that should also be ruled out and treated accordingly.

Management may involve stabilizing the body's fluid and electrolytes level.Since endolymphatic fluid contains specific concentration of sodium , potasium ,chloride and other electrolytes .Any fluctuation in electrolytes could lead to hydrops symptoms.
Minimizing salt and sugar in diet can also help these symptoms.
Sometime diuretics can help maintain constant amount of urination so the body fluid .
If vertigo and other symptoms increase in intensity you may need more aggressive measures may be considered like ototoxic medications etc

So I would suggest first you may need identify and treat the underlying cause ;if cause is no known ;it could be menier's disease .Which may require following diet measures,manage acute attacks by especialist.

Hopefully my answer will be helpfull for you,please let me know if i need to clarify more.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Head trauma

doctor1 MD

I have what feels like a hairline crack in my skull, above my left eye going from my forehead into my hairline. It s only a small indent, but is...

doctor1 MD

During a session at the tattoo parlor i had a grand mal seizure where my eyes rolled into the back of my head and my leg muscles contracted and...

doctor1 MD

I asked questions of Dr. Olsi Taka ( neurologist ) on 20 November 2017. These are followup questions. I spoke about a violent impact when my then...

doctor1 MD

My 7 year old came home from school today saying his head hurt badly “ very badly “ we got home I️ got him into bed tried giving him some Advil for...

doctor1 MD

About 45 days ago, I started to notice an extreme smell of pepper at all times.. It has become increasingly stronger day by day. No matter what...

doctor1 MD

hi! hope you can explain this : patient M/52 yrs. experienced headache and dizziness, diplopia after a head trauma 2 months before. CT brain result...

doctor1 MD

My 28-yr-old youngest son, who has been living with me since having a breakdown at 18, is now on warfarin (coumadin) for blood clotting that...