What causes recurrent cough and cold in children?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi, My son is having cold and cough for past 1 week, and it is recurrent every 15 days, and first 3 days if week he had fever, which is low-grade to 100 degrees, and next 2 days he did not have fever, and today he is having low-grade fever off and on, still he is having cough, and cold got subsided. Why he is getting fever, cold and cough, please give me solution.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent cough and cold can be due to allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

I have gone through the details and do understand your concern. Recurrent cough and cold can be due to allergy/viral infection. The important difference between viral and allergic cough/cold is that viral infections are usually associated with fever while it is very uncommon in allergic condition.

This type of cough/cold is common in early age and frequency gets decreased as the child grows.
The present illness appears to be due to some infection. In viral infection fever usually subsides after 4-5 days. Here as the fever is still persisting I would request you to consult a pediatrician to rule out underlying bacterial infection, if any.

Giving Paracetamol for fever and cough syrup containing antiallergic with bronchodilators (prevents airway spasm) helps in relieving the symptoms.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 14 minutes later
Sir, Do I need to change any syrups. Sir, u felt it is bacterial infection sir, since he got ulcer on tongue.
Sir, I am giving feveril syrup if fever is above 98 degrees, do it okay sir, prescribe any syrups for fever, cold and cough sir please
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial infection should be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for delayed reply

Mouth ulcer can be there in any febrile illness.
I requested you to rule out bacterial infection in view of resurgence of fever as it is unlikely in viral infection.
Paracetamol for fever more than 99.5 F should be given in a dose of 15 mg/kg/dose and it can be repeated at an interval of 6-8 hours depending on the frequency of fever.
Similarly anti allergic like chlorpheniramine with salbutamol (for airway spasm) would help in cough.Zytee lotion or clenora gel application over the ulcer will help.
As cough syrup is a prescription medicine please get it prescribed by a pediatrician and also get him clinically evaluated for the fever and cough.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar