What causes recurrent cough and cold in children?
Momeflo can be used with asthalin and budecort
Thanks for the query
Recurrent cough and cold can be allergic in origin.This may be precipitated by viral infection(when associated with fever) or exposure to allergens.
As this episode is associated with fever the first possibility(viral precipitation) is more likely.The main management here is to control the temperature and symptomatic treatment.
The asthalin(salbutamol) is a bronchodilator(helps in relieving spasm) and the same is bricanyl(terbutaline).
If the spasm is not severe and there is no breathing difficulty,only asthalin will do.
Montelukast is an allergy controlling agent and budecort is a steroid.
Both these help in controlling spasm in long term and hence should be used for longer duration.
Momeflo is also a steroid and it acts locally(to relieve nasal congestion).The absorption in blood is very less and hence the systemic side effect is also very less when taken under physician's supervision.It rarely causes slight nasal bleed or irritation.It should be taken one spray in each nostril once or twice a day depending on the severity.As there are chances of exacerbation of respiratory symptoms also, I would like to continue Asthalin,Budecort and Montelukast. Consult your physician for the need of bricanyl.
The dose of paracetamol is 10-15 mg/kg/dose and it can be given 4-8 hourly depending on the frequency of fever spikes.The minimal interval between two dosage should be at least 4 hours and it should not be given more than 5 times a day.As the weight of your baby is 12 kg the 5ml(250 mg) will be more than the usual recommended dose. You can do tepid water sponging to control the fever as it is a very effective modality. In case fever is persisting you can give mefanemic acid(meftal-p) syrup after consulting your physician.
Proper mouth wash should be done after inhalation of budecort(steroid) as it increases the risk of thrush and that can be prevented well with mouth wash.
I don't recommend appetite stimulant(practin contains cyproheptadine) as it's side effects(dizziness,dry mouth etc) outweighs the benefits.
I would like to know if there is significant weight loss(due to poor oral intake).
If there is no weight loss then I won't be overly worried regrading his oral intake.
I shall be glad to answer if you have any further query.
Wish your child speedy recovery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes frequent cold and skin warts in children
- Cold cough sensitive nose on telekast what is the cause
- What causes recurring cold and cough with throat pain
- What causes severe cold and cough every month
- What causes prolonged cold and wet cough
- What causes persistent cough and cold
- What causes frequent cold and cough
- What causes cold and cough
- What causes recurrent cough and cold
- Rice causes cold and cough
- What does my stool test report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for respiratory tract infection in an infant
- Suggest treatment for chesty cough and blocked nose
- What does this CECT abdomen report indicate?
- Suggest remedy for cough and breathing problem in an infant
- What causes recurrent pain abdomen with vomiting?
- What is the cause and treatment for poor appetite in an infant?
- Suggest treatment for low appetite and different pattern of behavior in...
- Suggest treatment for asthma in a 5 year old
- What causes swollen lymph node in groin area of a child?