• question-icon

What causes recurrent cold and chills sensation in an elderly person?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi my husband frequently reports feeling cold and having chills at night and puts on double shirts plus turning up the heat in the bedroom. He is 80 years old. This evening I observed him begin to shake uncontrollably, stating he was cold, his lips got blue, his hands were cold. He had just been exercising his upper body and arms using a free weight (25 lbs) What should we be worried about? He is currently sitting in a bathroom with the heat on and two sweatshirts. Says he is feeling better. His voice was shaking too as he was shaking so severely. I am usually asleep when the freezing sensation occurs. This was frightening.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood vessel constriction

Detailed Answer:

From what you said there is a peripheral vasoconstriction in the entire body. That means the blood vessels are constricted and giving compensatory blood flow to the vital organs. Hence he is shivering a lot. Heat causes the blood flow into the limbs now.
I am not sure what caused this blood vessel constriction in the limbs. It has to be worked out properly. Besides I see a number of medicines that he takes for heart failure and Blood pressure.
I think you should not waste time at home. Get him to emergency for evaluation and that is appropriate step.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam