• question-icon

What causes recurrent bowel movements in an infant?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My kid is six months and he is doing motion 3-5 times a day and the motion is green in colour. Please advise if any medication is required
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal for age.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that for a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. Alternatively the child may pass stool once in 10 days and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned. It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool. The green colour occurs due to rapid transit through large intestine where the bile pigments do not get adequate time to convert to the yellow colour of stool. It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool. No medicines are required.

Let me know if you have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 47 hours later
Hello doctor,
Please advise if homeopath Medicine calcarea phosphate is safe for my kid or suggest some other medicine helpful in teething.
One of my friend told me that calcarea phos has been banned in USA.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No medicines are advisable.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Let me tell you that homeopathic medicines have not undergone systematic safety testing, especially in children. So, there is inadequate evidence to comment that they are safe.

However, homeopathic medicines are practically equivalent to water as in the regular dilutions you will not find a single molecule of the active ingredient in the entire bottle. So, it's simply not appropriate to expect it to be of any benefit, irrespective of the fact that there are no studies to prove that they are safe either. In the USA rules are much stringent and that could have got it banned there.

Teething is a normal process. No medicines would help. Just wait for the normal course of events.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician