What causes recurrent back spasms in the lower back?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2018 in Back Pain
Question: I am having back spasms in my lower back- left side . This is a recurring problem. I went to the emergency room on Xmas eve for the same problem. It started again today and I am taking the prescribed pain medication. I also had a massage thinking the problem was muscle related. But it did not help. I Will contact my reg physician after the holiday but am looking for relief now. Pain meds are Hydrocodone and Methocarbamol. I am female age 65.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have these every 4 hours.

Detailed Answer:
The spasms in the back that you are having can be related to a muscle strain or disc related issues. Strong muscle relaxants are needed for relief but these are available only on prescription. Right now you can continue hot compress, increase the frequency of methocarbamol and hydrocodone to every 4 hours and apply a local analgesic gel on the back like Volini.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T