What causes recurrent and uncontrolled typhoid fever?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hello Doc.
My mother (age 56)gets a typhoid fever in every 3 to 4 months and is having the typhoid virus every time when tested.She complains about dizziness,weakness,muscle cramp and twist frequently.Her health is also deteriorating.I thing her body is unable to absorb the nutrients and supplements given to her because she is having all sorts of external supplements since 8 to 10 years but nothing has resulted a better health.Her hemoglobin also becomes low frequently( around 8) if she does not take medicine.She is having Blood group o negative.She also complains abnormal heart beat and palpitations.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs investigation.right treatment and duration

Detailed Answer:

looking at the history of recurrent / uncontrolled typhoid fever and her health condition the chance of intestinal involvement is present. So better to get investigated with endoscopy, complete hemogram once.
The dizziness and weakness may be due to anaemia. This can be treated with iron and vitamin supplements. But better to start after the investigations as we can directly target the cause.

For typhoid fever complete course of treatment with ciprofloxacin or ceftriaxone will help in recovery. Incomplete treatment or wrong drug may not help her.

I hope this information helps you and answered your questions. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you and your family good health.