What causes recurrent anal abscesses?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I had an anal absess that popped on it's own several times within the past month Now I have a hard lump on the absess site. Is this normal? How long does it take to go away?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be fistula-in-ano

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/35 - anal abscess - popped several times within the past month - have a hard lump on the abscess site - wants to know whether normal ...
If there is a recurrent abscess that pop near the anal area, this should be take as a case of fistula-in-ano unless proved otherwise.

Please give additional information:
What medications or treatments you have taken?
Any investigations?
You may please post the clear and focused photographs if possible as it helps in diagnosis and planning further management

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 8 minutes later
I went to urologist because I have prostatitis. And thought anal pain was from prostatitis. Dr gave me cipro,bactrim and then cefdinir. It helped the prostatitis symptoms but the absess keeps recurring. I use pids drawing salve to make absess pop. What other medications should I use?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a General Surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Since you have already received proper medications, I would advise you the following:
Consult a General Surgeon for clinical evaluation, examination, per-rectal digital exam and ano-proctoscopy for preliminary diagnosis to be followed by more specific investigations like colonoscopy, Fistulogram if fistula is suspected to know whether this is high anal or low anal to decide the management.