• question-icon

What causes recurrent UTI and bladder infection?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am female and constantly have UTI's because my bladder does not empty. My urologist has started me on Tamsulosin HCL to find out if it helps. If not, I will have to wear a catheter and bag.

So, should I be taking that? I take Exforge, Coreg, Warfarin, Insulin, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Vitorin
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Give it a try and let’s see the results!

Detailed Answer:

Tamsulosin improves bladder emptying. Theoretically, this should help.

We will however want to individualize care and see whether this makes a difference to you and reduces the frequency of the UTI. If it doesn’t, we will have to go with a catheter for continued urine drainage.

I'd appreciate if you could share with me what the identified cause of this urine retention is as this is not commonly seen in the female.

Please keep me updated. I wish you well and hope this helps.
Feel free to follow up with me as and when required.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
I am concerned with interactions Tamsulosin causes with the other medicines I take? I did not take it today. Do you have any information about this
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tamsulosin is not the having any additional unwanted interactions!

Detailed Answer:

But for the fact that Tamsulosin can cause a further drop in blood pressure, there are no terrible reported drug interactions. If interactions is the fear, tamsulosin is not the medication that raises much concern at this time.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Let me know if you have any further concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Chobufo Ditah