Owl Image

What causes recurrece of clump of blood vessel on head?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I had surgery on the top if my head 2 years ago felt like a hot poker in it before. The dr said it was a clump of blood vessels that he took out. Its back
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Angiography

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for a very short and specific information.

This would have been a hemangioma, a clump of blood vessels. Per se scalp has a very rich blood supply and being near the heart the pressure in the arteries is much more than that in the arteries of periphery.

The recurrence might have been due to:
As I have already mentioned. If he ''feeding vessel/s '' to the original lesion starts expanding again and the collateral circulation starts developing, the recurrence is evident.

The best way is to get the angiography done to see he number of feeding vessels, their origins, extension from the deeper tissues including the intra-cranial ones.

The findings guide properly for the future course of action, the symptoms and the signs. Vascular surgeon then would be in a better position to guide you for the cure.

Follow-up: What causes recurrece of clump of blood vessel on head? 4 minutes later
Is it dangerous

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends.

Detailed Answer:
If it is small, no symptoms, covered by a healthy skin, not on pressure or friction points, not progressing ( increasing), - it is not dangerous.

Yet it has to be followed regularly, and surgical interventions done before likely complication of enlargement, bleeding or so.