What causes rectal pressure post prostate surgery?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband had prostate surgery 5 years ago and he did not have problems until 4 years into it. He started with rectal pressure and no doctor found anything wrong. They cannot explain why he is having this. He did all test possible but nothing was found. He is frustrated and don't know what to think.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need details...

Detailed Answer:

I am really not sure what you mean by rectal pressure. Is it a constant ache or a problem while passing stool. I wish you provide a detailed description of this symptom.

What ever this symptom may be since it started 4 years after the surgery, it's not likely to be related to that procedure. Recurrence of prostate problem may cause rectal issues; but I guess that was also looked at by the surgeon.

I would also consider radiological investigations such as ultrasound scan or a CT in my patients with rectal problem before referring them to a gastroenterologist. You can discuss about the tests with the treating doctor (if its not done yet).

I shall wait for more details to comment further.