• question-icon

What causes reactive lymphadenopathy in the neck?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: I I have a sore and swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck, and the top of my head on the left side is sore and tender to touch.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Did you recentlu get a flu? Sore throat? Cough?

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information fully. This is suggestive of a reactionary lymph node response to a local infection in the head/neck region. You must likely have had an infection in this area. I will suggest that you take just tylenol: 100mg every 8hours for relief. If the infection has not been fully controlled, then report your symptoms for further evaluation and guidance. If the infection has been addressed, know that this is totally normal and will return to its normal painless size within 10-14days. I must state that cancers do not cause swollen and tender nodes. Cancer only cause swollen painless nodes.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Dr. Ivo Ditah