What causes reactive hypoglycemia?

Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Diabetes
Question: Hi, I am a ccollege student and hd been having this symptoms for a while. I get light headed a lot and dizzy. The dizziness stops after eating something sweet. I have a history of diabetes in my family so can you help me out
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably pre diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for writing to hcm. Your history is suggestive of reactive hypoglycemia which means that you could be experiencing relatively low sugars due to a high insulin level in the blood. It occurs in people prone for diabetes especially as yours with a family risk. I would suggest you get a glucose tolerance test and hba1c done. We can make an apt plan based on that. It will estimate your risk status. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad