What causes raw feeling in lungs after quitting smoking?

ENT Specialist
Question
Couple of things going on.......
1. Quit smoking for 6+ months now and lungs occasionally feel raw when leaving shower or high heat and humidity.
2. VA Doctor says smoking causing raw, red sore throat for years now. quit smoking and throat condition remains. Thought it may be teeth and gum issues and have corrected all of those. Antibiotics have no effect on throat condition. Folds of throat retain throat stones commonly. I never had a cough while smoking and still don't. Wonder if the two are related in any way. such as thrush moved to my lungs.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These are common sensations in the respiratory tract for an ex-smoker.

2. The damage to the delicate linings of the oral cavity, throat and lungs is partly irreversible.

3. It is good to hear that you have stopped smoking. The full benefits of cessation of smoking take at least 5 years.

4. Get a videolaryngoscopy, Chest X-ray, Pulmonary Function Tests and Cardiac evaluation done. If these are normal, there is no cause for worry.

5. Gently remove any tonsilloliths (throat stones) while brushing. Fungal infections (Thrush) in the lungs will have many other symptoms.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.