What causes rashes on the scalp?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Areas of my scalp are swelling. I wear a hairpiece and have been suffering a rash of late from the bonding agent. After just using tape to adhere the unit to my scalp the rash subsided but noe areas of my scalp have swollen. Why was my account cancelled instead of resolving the problem. And if you did indeed cancel was the credit for this months service also credited it did not mentioned that in the notice I received from PayPal. I will appreciate a response.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
contact dermatitis, topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If the rash is related to the bonding agent, it would imply that it may be contact dermatitis which is inflammation of the skin in response to contact with a particular agent.
There are two types: (1) allergic contact dermatitis - where the reaction is due to an allergic response. You are allergic to the material or some aspect of the bonding agent or
(2)irritant contact dermatitis- there is damage to the skin due to contact with the bonding agent

Both tend to present similarly

Treatment: (1) if at all possible, you need to discontinue this type or brand of bonding agent
Discontinuing contact is the main and most important aspect of treatment

(2) a topical steroid cream can be applied to the area to reduce the reaction . Hydrocortisone may be available over the counter but if it is not strong enough, you may need a prescription from your doctor for a stronger option

(3)because it is an inflammatory reaction- adding an oral antihistamine and anti inflammatory agent such as naproxen, cataflam or ibuprofen may help even to reduce the swelling even if there is no pain.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions