What causes rashes on the lower back, wrists, feet, legs and thighs?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I broke out in rashes laat night mainly on my lower back, wrists, back of feet, back of legs and thighs. It was highly itchy an very irritating, and my skin was burning. I woke up at 6am an they were still there, when I then woke up again at 9am they were gone, but I am still very itchy! Could this be scabies? I have recently come back from holiday and was bitten quite a lot by mosqitoes. Could this be why?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be from mosquitos/virus

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
It is unlikely to be scabies. With scabies you would have raised areas where the little mites tunnel under the skin. These would not go away in a couple of hours.
It is possible that your body is having a reaction to the mosquito bites or that you were exposed to some sort of virus. These types of rashes are often itchy.
It is also possible that you have been exposed to something that you are allergic to which could also cause an itchy rash.
If you develop high fever, nausea, vomiting or other symptoms see a doctor right away.
If you have no other symptoms besides the rash, try taking a non-sedating antihistamine like loratadine and see if that helps with the itching. Keeping the skin cool and avoiding scratching can also help with the itchiness.
When you show use cool water because heat will make the itchiness worse. If this resolves in a few days then don't worry about it. However if the itchiness persists see a doctor for an exam and some blood tests.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr.Robinson