What causes rashes on the elbow and stomach area of a child?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 17 year old son has a rash on both his elbows and stomach area and arms are flush.. should I take him in tonight to er. He's had poison ivy before and looks similar
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Without a picture it is hard for me to say what it is or assess the severity of it, but as it sounds likely to be some type of allergic reaction, I think an urgent care clinic may be able to help him. If you have none near you that are open, then yes, the ER would be appropriate.

In the meantime, if it is itchy and you have an antihistamine readily available, give him a dose of it now.

I hope this helps and you are able to get the rash sorted out.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 17 minutes later
I uploaded 3 pictures
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Saw the pictures

Detailed Answer:
I could not make out what is going on on his abdomen, but the splotchy red areas on his arms looks like it may possibly be hives (urticaria).

For this you can try diphenhydramine (Benadryl) 50 mg every 6 hours.

But on the abdomen, is it more of a sandpaper feeling rash? Has he had a virus or strep throat recently?