• question-icon

What causes rashes on the arms?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello :)

I have question about rash or hives on my arms
and a rash on my chest.

Sometimes few minutes after I wake up in the morning I get hives on my wrist and arm very quickly, and spread over the arm in just 1-5 minutes. Sometimes it's very itchy and sometimes it's not itchy. If I just leave it alone it takes 10-45 minutes and it's totally gone, and you cannot even see it was there.

I haven't had this before, it started for 3-4 weeks ago and have had it like 5-6 times now.
I notice maybe it's because I sweat through the night and that could be a trigger ?
and sometimes if I wash my hand with too warm water I do get it also ?
what can be the cause and do I need to worry ?
I have attached some images of the hives.
normally my skin is clean and normal and I have good hygiene.

the second question is a rash on my chest, it has never been itchy and it started of slowly and the progression was slow and turned into a few more rashes. you can see before and after images and I think it started for about 2 monts ago. It doesn't give an problems and it's not getting bigger.
I have read about Pityriasis rosea; but I can't see it anywhere else on the body.

do I have anything to worry about and is there any connection between this two ?

- I haven't changed anything in my life that I know of; the only change in my life is I had Nissen fundoplication and hital hernia surgery in january; and maybe the food has changed a little bit after that.
otherwise I feel perfect and healthy.

best regards
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rashes doesn't seem to be serious, not related to each other

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints and rashes on your arms seem to be urticaria.
It can occur as an allergic reaction to any food item, drugs, any infection in the body, thyroid disorders and in third of the cases occurs without any cause.
It is nothing serious and you don't have worry much about it.
You can take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily for 7-10 days.
This might help in subsiding them completely.
I don't think these rashes are related to sweating and contact with warm water.
Regarding the rash on your chest it doesn't look like pityriasis rosea.
It can be either some nonspecific dermatitis or seborrhoeic dermatitis.
I don't think you have to worry about it and these two doesn't seem to be related.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist