What causes rashes on lower cheek and jaw in an infant?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor. my daughter is 6 months old.. she got a rash on her lower cheeek and jaw..not sure what it is..we just started gave carrot juice once yesterday.. we are using candid cream for nappy area rash.. can we use the same candid cream for face as well..I attached the pics of rash
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Atopic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have gone through your question and attached images. Do not worry. The rash seems to be due to atopic dermatitis which usually appear in this age group. You can easily treat it by a good moisturizer such as Aveeno baby cream or cetaphil cream. Avoid any soaps and irritants on face. Use these creams immediately after bath and 2-3 times thereafter in a day to avoid dryness.
If the condition persists then a mild steroid such as desowen or 1% hydrocortisone can be applied on rashes before moisturizer once a day. Avoid steroids for more than 15 days.

Most babies outgrow this condition as they grow.

Hopefully it will be of help.

Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 25 minutes later
we are using cetaphil soap and sebamed lotion for face is it fine? or we need to stop the soap and change to cetaphil cream?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hold soap and lotion

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I would recommend you to stop cetaphil soap for face as its affected by atopic dermatitis. Soap leads to more dryness. Creams are better at hydrating affected skin as compared to lotion. I would recommend you to start with desowen on affected areas once a day and Aveeno baby cream three times a day for 10 days at present. Thereafter we may plan further management as per response of skin lesions.

Hopefully it will be of help.