• question-icon

What causes rashes all over body in a 1 year old?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my son is aged 1 year 9 months.He is still breast fed. Since 2 days, rashes are appearing on his body but disappears after 1 hour. It keeps repeating regularly within a span of 2-3 hours. The occurrence is not specific to any particular food he consumes. Even just a body contact with my face, he develops these rashes. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely allergic skin reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform
I have gone through the image and do understand your concern.

Raised wheals with redness in cheek area is most likely an allergic skin reaction(allergic contact dermatitis).

It is important to avoid the precipitating condition/agent if you notice any to avoid it's recurrences.
As you have mentioned that it is not related to food items and may be due to contact with you.

I request you to check whether it is related to any cosmetics that you are using.
Also look for any recent change in surroundings to know the culprit.

Most of the times the exact cause could not be detected and here treatment with anti allergic like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), Cetrizine helps.

If rashes are recurring in spite of these medication , application of topical low potent steroid(fluticasone/mometasone) helps.

I hope this helps.
I shall be glad to answer if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology