What causes rash on the inner wall of vagina?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor, I noticed a light rash in the inner wall of my vagina's outer lips, I took a picture but I do not know how to upload it
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UPLOAD SOME CLEAR IMAGES.

Detailed Answer:

I have RECEIVED your uploaded image and it is slight blurred. Kindly, attach or upload MORE CLEAR and GOOD quality image for proper understanding.

You can send MORE images to ( YYYY@YYYY ) and write the name of referred doctor - Dr Soumen Patra.

I need some additional information regarding your query.

1) Do you shave genital area recently or use hair removal cream?
2) Are you sexually active? If yes, when was your last sexual encounter?
3) Do you have any H/O using scented product, perfume or chemical subs?
4) Is there any H/O itching, fever, gland swelling?
5) What is your last menstrual period date?

Waiting for your response and images.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 6 minutes later
Hello, thank you for replying, I am sexually active, I shaved today, my last period was a week late, my soap is scented but all natural and I do have some itching (and it feels amazing when I scratch)
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for additional information.

Light rash around labial or vaginal lip region is MOSTLY due to irritation of skin or allergic reaction by recent shaving or using hair removal cream. Sensitive skin is more vulnerable to this type of skin condition.

PREVENTION AND TREATMENT:

1) Don't scratch the area. Otherwise, it will more aggravate the condition.

2) Use Aloe Vera Gel for soothing effect or Tea tree oil lotion for healing (if available). Calamine lotion is also useful to reduce itching.

3) If above protocol is NOT effective, then topical 2.5% Hydrocortisone cream can be used to treat inflammatory skin condition.

4) Don't shave frequently. Practice protected sex. Don't stay long time in wet underwear and maintain genital hygiene during period.

5) Use alcohol-free moisturizer cream which contains hydrating ingredients like glycerin, goat's milk, XXXXXXX butter and oils after each time shaving.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen