What causes rash on chest and neck?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
I have a 9 week old and I noticed a rash yesterday on her chest and neck it seems to be a little better today but still there and this is day two of watery sour yellow stools. No fever. Anything I should be concerned about? She is nursing normally but I know infants can get dehydrated quickly.
Posted Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be an eczema/ gastrocolic reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hi...My first suggestion for you is to upload an image of the rash she is having. Skin and eye conditions are best diagnosed only after seeing directly. I suggest you to upload photographs of the same on this website, so that I can guide you scientifically.

I feel the symptoms you quote fit into eczema, which is an allergic skin condition common in this age group. The Loose stools could be gastrocolic reflux.

Regarding eczema - the trick of the management is keeping the skin moist and never allowing it to be dry. For this oil massage and lotions like Oilatum will help. Regarding cure options - eczema is a sort of allergy...allergies can only be controlled and can never be cured. But usually kids grow out of it...that is as the age progresses, they become better starting from 6 months.

Regarding Gastrocolic reflux - It is not a diarrhea and is only a gastro-colic reflux. It is quite common for babies of this age group t pass small amount of diarrhea or loose stools soon after feeds. This need not be treated as diarrhea and especially antibiotics are not indicated.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Follow-up: What causes rash on chest and neck? 33 minutes later
Thank you. She has been gagging and acting like she has a bad taste in her mouth as well. I sm jeeling her elevated after feeding and in an inclined bassinet now, she had a very loud gag last night almost as if she was about to throw up. She slept almost all day today but smiling and active in her waking moments.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Infantile eczema

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I have seen her photograph depicting the rash. This is infantile eczema and as I have previously said, this requires only moisturizing the skin. No need to use topical steroids as of now.
What you did is perfectly right - using hypoallergenic lotion and calendula ointment.
But if the rash is increasing and spreading all over the body and making her irritable, then consult your pediatrician or dermatologist.

Regarding 2 loose stools she passed - As she does not have any other red flag signs which I have previously said - you need not worry.

The loud gag which you have heard could be her way of belching out the air. DO NOT WORRY.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696