• question-icon

What causes rash of blisters on nose, forehead and chin?

Posted on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 in Skin Rash
Question: I started out with achiness all over, a sore throat, and swollen tender lymph nodes and tonsils. I awoke two days later with spots of tiny skin blisters near one nostril and lower lip which I assumed were cold sores. This rash of blisters itched and burned moderately. I had started a new topical compound cream for pain recently but that was a couple of weeks ago. My sister has Shingles but did not have an obvious breakout when she visited 7-10 days earlier. When I washed my face with a wash cloth I broke some of the blisters so I expected a bit of spreading; however when I woke the following day the rash of blisters had spread up both sides of my nose to my forehead, under both nostrils, down both sides of my mouth (but not on my mouth) and all over my chin, still with tiny blisters which easily break and drain. It is now spreading onto my forehead, cheeks, jaws and necks, and across bridge of my nose but the itching and burning is now only mild. Sore throat and swelling of lymph nodes, achiness are gone now, but the rash of blisters is still spreading. I have applied hydro-cortisone cream and antibacterial ointment since the onset but do not know what caused this and want the rash of blisters gone. None of the skin blistering is going away. Thank you for any help you can provide. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes zoster (shingles)

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
It seems you have developed Herpes zoster (shingles).
The total duration of disease is generally 7–10 days; however, it may take as long as 2–4 weeks for the skin to return to normal.
The most frequently employed serologic test- the fluorescent antibody to membrane antigen (FAMA) test, and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).
Patients with herpes zoster benefit from oral antiviral therapy, with acyclovir, valacyclovir ( dose is 1 g by mouth three times daily for 5–7 days) or famciclovir.
One can apply acyclovir ointment(5%) locally.

Consultation with a physician or dermatologist is imperative.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas