question-icon

What causes rapid weight gain, swallowing difficulty, headaches and lower extremities swelling?

Posted on Wed, 27 May 2015
Question: I began rapid weight gain, swallowing difficulty, headaches, swelling upper/lower extremities. I suggested to the physician I am/was seeing, when he says see XXXXXXX Craig-- which crushed. I knew there was some else was wrong. I could not swollen without choking. I rec'd an ultrasound report today req'd. But an endocrinologist last Wednesday. It shows that thyroid is enlarged. R. Lobe 5.1 x 1.8 x 2.4 cm
& left lobe measures 5.1x2x. 2.7cm; isthmus measures 0.4 cm in AP dimension.

Hypoechoic nodule in the left upper pole measures 0.5 x 0.3 x 0.5 cm; there is a complex cystic nodule in the left mid pole measuring 0.5x 0.3 x 0.5 cm. No extra thyroid masses to suggest parathyroid edenoma.

What are some of the treatment to correct/managed my thyroid. Will I lose weight-- From 150 to 206lbs?
HELP ME ..THANKS
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Treatment would be surgical.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam.

I understand your concern.

You probably seem to have few symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Since a complex hypo echoic lesion was detected by ultrasound,its important that histology of this is known.

For this I advise you to have an FNAC/needle examination of the nodule under ultrasonographic guidance.

Further management is usually based on the report.

But in all most all the cases,the involved lobe is certainly removed.

In other cases if malignant changes are detected on FNAC ,then complete total thyroid gland is removed.

Post surgery you can lose weight.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.
Dr. Suresh Heijebu