What causes rapid heart rate along with heart pounding in chest?

Posted on Wed, 4 Feb 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My 13 year old son is experiencing rapid heart rate with his heart pounding in his chest. He says it sometimes occurs when he stretches his arms. He also has dizziness and can feel lightheaded after standing.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Either reflex common in young age or arrhythmia

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,
Rapid heart rates are common in his age, but sometimes there are arrhythmias. If he has rapid heart rate now, I would advise your son to do valsalva maneuvers for stopping the rapid heart rate (take deep breath and hold, cough).
Lightheadedness and dizziness can be a reflex in young age, tell him to stand slowly.
Also I would advise you to see a cardiologist. He needs to undergo ECG, holter monitoring, which is ECG recording for 24 hours, so his heartbeats will be recorded, and if there is any arrhythmia, your doctor will know.

Hope I could help you

Please, let me know if you have further questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist