• question-icon

What causes rapid heart beat while taking prednisone, aerius and nasal spray?

Posted on Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I haven't been feeling right. I'm having shortness of breath, dizziness, difficulty swallowing sometimes, fever off and on, and left eye twitching. Seen 4 doctors. First 2 said I had a sinus, ear and throat infection. I was prescribed antibiotic and claritain. I felt some relief then symptoms increase. Seen another doc- was prescribed a nasal spray- bentosol, panadol & claritan. Now experiencing all symptoms plus rapid heart beat from time to time- especially in the evening. I could be washing dishes and my heart would start to race. Saw another doc- he said it's nasal allergies. Prescribed an prednisone, aerius and nasal spray. Been taking medication for 4 days no relief. Rapid heart beat more than before now.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: History suggestive of an allergic reaction. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX The history mentioned by you- shortness of breath and regular sinus and ear infections are suggestive of allergic process. When you get ear or sinus infection, you should take antibiotic. Is there any history of exposure to any environmental allergen? If there is history of exposure to an allergen, exposure needs to be avoided. You have been using multiple drugs in the past. It is difficult to pin-point a specific cause of fast heart rate. Consulting a cardiologist and getting an EKG will help in identifying the problem. Before taking any drug, you need to confirm the diagnosis. You need to consult an immunologist. Write back to me with the requested details, so that I can assist you further. Awaiting your response. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Thank you for your response. No history of exposure to environmental allergen. The drugs taken have all been prescribed by doctors. Would my allergies be a possible cause of the change in heart rate? And when referred to as having a nasal allergy- does that mean anything in the air can be affecting my nose and causing me to have a shortness of breath? I know if I;m around someone that smoke or have had a smoke I tend to pick up on it easier than the person next to me. Of if certain cleaning products are used, or house sprays like air fresheners, bug spray etc is used I have difficulties breathing. If I drink anything with acids- orange juice, soda, vita malt I get a shortness of breath. It's a bit frustrating as I can't just choose the air that I breath :). Thank you for taking the time to respond as chatting with you give me some hope. I will definitely follow up with a cardiologist regarding my heart as it because scary at times. Shortness of breath and a heart racing is not a good combination.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Consult an immunologist and cardiologist Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, The allergic process that you are facing can be best managed after consulting an immunologist. The fast heart rate can occur due to number of causes. Anxiety is one of the factors causing fast heart rate. So does an allergic reaction. but yes it is good to consult a cardiologist for a complete clinical examination and relevant investigations to look for any organic lesion in the heart before concluding the cause as anxiety or allergic reaction. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist