• question-icon

What causes rapid breathing in a child?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 2 years kiddo had rapid breath last for 2 secs while hes sleeping aftee that nothing had happened.Should I take him to doctor .He has light nose block
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that this is absolutely normal and nothing to get concerned about. Child can develop periodic breathing patterns and that is normal. This alone does not call for taking him to a doctor.

You can give Nasoclear saline nasal drops one drop in each nostril when needed, to help with the nasal block.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 days later
Hi My paediatrician said his ears are fine there will be slight variation in child report that's not a problem .Now I am having good stimulation with him but he s using words abba naan app eieio ma but not using to address me or his father. How to make him address me as mom and his dad as appa
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to constantly interact (keep talking) to the baby

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You need to constantly interact with the child. Tell him all sorts of things (things that correlate). Point to things and say the related name word. Similarly point to his father and say appa. The same has to be done from his side. The child first listens to the sounds and tries to correlate. He tries to simulate the sounds. It is only thereafter that the sounds get their meaning and the child can try to apply them contexually. Only then the child will be able to say accordingly.

Additionally, I would insist you to answer the questionnaire located at: https://www.m-chat.org/mchat.php

Let me know what the results say.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
Hi In what basis you are telling that he has autistic symptoms
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rationale explained

Detailed Answer:
I am not saying that your child has autism. I am just trying to get autism ruled out as a possible cause of delay in speech development. Usually children are able to refer to their parents by mom and appa by this age. You can answer the questions and know with certainty whether your child is at a higher risk. If not, there is no need to worry anyway.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 14 minutes later
Showing Low Risk Doctor
Brief Answer:
Keep talking to the child.

Detailed Answer:
That is great. In such a case you need not worry. All you need to do is to keep talking to the child as much as you can.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician