What causes random pain at the base of the left thumb?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: At the base of my left thumb I recently started having pain to the touch. My thumb joint is now sticking and pops hard when I bend it to pick up something, try to open a jar and now the pain feels terrible with every bend
of the joint. I didn't hurt it or have an accident of any kind so this has come out of no where seemingly.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may need xrays to get an answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
What you describe could be a type of arthritis where the cartilage in the joint is damaged and causing the problem. It could also be problem with the tendon. It is unlikely to be a fracture since there was no trauma.
Ibuprofen is fine as long as it is not hurting your stomach. You should see a doctor and get it examined and possibly an xray.
If it is early onset arthritis, there is not much to do for that. The supplement glucosamine may be helpful.
If it is a tendon problem then a hand surgeon may be able to correct it.
I wish you the best,
Dr. Robinson

Brief Answer:
hard to find the cause sometimes

Detailed Answer:
It is not always clear what causes tendons to get inflamed or damaged. Sometimes it is just wear and tear from our daily tasks. I think seeing a hand specialist is a great idea.
I hope you get some relief soon,
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 13 minutes later
I don’t know what would make a tendon go haywire. I think you’re right because the tendon is now generating pain down the wrist if i’m Being completely honest. I will make an appt with a hand specialist. Thanknyou