What causes random muscle twitches in the shoulders?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have movement under skin right shoulder back of neck
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to fasciculations.

Detailed Answer:
From the description provided it seems that you have muscle twitches or fasciculations. These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.
You might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels

In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
I have stinging pain and itching in the shoulder area in this area too. It feels like something is crawling in the area.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The associated stinging pain can be due to a muscle spasm. Doing a hot compress and taking a mild pain killer will help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.