What causes random bouts of vomiting?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my 27 year old son has random bouts of vomiting. Most often its in the middle of the night or early morning hours. Does not seem to be associated with specific foods. Has been going on for at least a year. Misses work due to nausea and the vomiting. Symptoms may go away for a month of so then come back for several months at a time.
Vomit turns the toilet back and disgusting! No other commodes in house is like the one my son gets sick in
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cyclic vomiting syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Your child probably has Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.

Going through the following links should help:
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/cyclic-vomiting-syndrome/Pages/facts.aspx
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cyclic-vomiting-syndrome/basics/definition/con-0000

Treatment is supportive and consists of:
* Taking antiemetics like ondansetron before he gets bouts of vomiting.
* Taking ORS (oral rehydration solution) if the vomitings are occurring.
* If I had a patient like him I would have probably given him Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg once daily for at least 2 months. If you want to opt for this medicine, discuss with your doctor.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng