What causes raised mole temple?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had this raised mole on my right temple for at least 15 years. I am 34. It's probably been there longer than that. It's never changed size nor changed any physical characteristics (no ulcerations or bleeding etc). It's just something that has me curious. I have an appointment with my dermatologist on 7/29/14 but I just wanted to get an opinion on whether this is actually a mole. I can tell you that when I press it, it is very soft. I can manipulate its general shape and squeeze it. It will dimple and crease as well. The pictures I've uploaded show it's appearance with regular light and 2 photos with flash. The Flash photos make it look darker than what it really is. I have just about the same type of "mole on my inner thigh as well. Raised, very soft and squishy, also been in the same place since childhood
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acrochordons

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query. I have also looked at the images.

Judging from the way you describe it and also after looking at the pictures and considering the fact that they have been there since more than 15 years, I would keep a possibility of skin tags or acrochordons. Usually they are pedunculated/have a stalk but they may also be sessile.

Skin tags do not have malignant potential but are often removed due to irritation or for cosmetic reasons.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 48 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt answer. I thought skin tags usually form on skin areas that have friction. This isnt really a frictional area for me. I need to clarify I statement I said early, when, I said I can squeeze and manipulate its shape, it's by squeezing it with tweezers which results in good amount of it looking squeezed. If that sounds right..lol. Pressing with either fingers or a blunt object on it, easily flattens it or if I slide my finger or something else across the surface, it cause the surface to ripple the skin.

What I'm looking for based ont he updated information provided is that whatever it is, is it benign?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acrochordons

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Skin tags or acrochordons commonly occur in folds like axilla, neck but they can occur otherwise.

It is definitely benign. However, if removal is desired for cosmetic reasons, they can be easily vaporised with a CO 2 Laser