What causes raised itchy bumps on fingers?
Features are suggestive of Shingles (Herpes zoster)
Dear Ma am, Hi
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the painful bumps on your fingers.
Assuming that the rash and the raised bumps to be on only one side, the typical location and the associated itching and burning sensations are suggestive of Shingles or Herpes zoster.
It is caused by varicella-zoster virus.
Primary infection with this virus causes chickenpox. At this time the virus infects nerves where it remains latent for years.
It can then be reactivated to cause shingles with blisters over the distribution of the affected nerve accompanied by often intense pain and itching. Herpes zoster is more frequent with increasing age.
In view of the possibility of having shingles you are advised the following:
The affected area can be cleansed with soap and water.
Cool compresses and Calamine lotion provide relief from itching and burning.
Benadryl and pain medicines (NSAIDs) can also help ease recovery.
Avoid close skin-to-skin contact with others
Antiviral drugs such as Acyclovir or Famciclovir can reduce the severity and duration of the rash if started early (within 72 hours of the appearance of the rash).
Hope the suggestions given above could be of help in getting the treatment for the shingles.
Wishing you best of your health.
Need uploaded picture for more comments.
Dear Ma am,
Can you please upload the picture of the affected fingers so that I can have a review of the opinion.
Thanks and regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes itchiness and bumps in the butt crack
- What causes itchy red bumps in the groin area
- What can cause painful bumps on my finger
- What causes itchy smallflattish bumps on the skin
- What causes a red bump on finger
- What causes painful bump on index finger
- What causes itchy bumps behind the neck area
- What causes small raised bumps on the shaft
- What causes bumps on fingers and sides of feet
- What causes itchy scalp bumps