What causes raised creatinine levels?

Question
MY WIFE HAS CREATININE LEVEL 2.6 WHICH IS ABOVE TO NORMAL RANGE , PLEASE SUGGEST HOW CAN WE REDUCE IT AND WHAT TO DO NOW?
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low salt, low protein intake

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Raised creatinine level doesn't suggest renal problem, it seen in conditions like renal impairment
destruction of muscle
high dietary intake of meat
hypothyroidism
increased protein intake
few medication

If a patient comes to with these problem first like to understand the cause of elevated creatinine. The cause will be established through complete history and physical examination. Depending on examination findings I would like proceed with further investigations.

In your wife's condition there is some amount of rise in creatinine, which needs further evaluation to detect cause.

un detected high blood pressure is one of the reason for kidney impairment, as she has started taking medications its good , let her continue the medications and get regular monitoring of BP done.

Low salt diet and low protein diet with vitamin supplements and strict BP control do help to control kidney problem. Many early stages of kidney problem are reversible.

Try these measures and repeat creatinine levels after a month.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.