• question-icon

What causes raised blue veins on the shin?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I have very noticeable blue veins slightly raised on the shin of my right leg. They aren't bulging just slightly raised. I can feel them beneath the skin with my finger. I don't have this appearance on my left leg. What causes this and is it anything to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Considering your medical history, I am inclined to think it is venous insufficiency. Leg veins have valves that prevent the blood from going backwards. Due to increased pressure, especially in heart and blood pressure problems, these valves begin to weaken and they cease to perform as supposed to. What happens is that the blood from the veins that is supposed to go forward to the heart, keeps backtracking and pooling in the veins, weakening the vein walls and leading to engorged or varicose veins.

However, this most often happens in both legs. The fact that they are only visible in one leg makes it more probable to be thrombophlebitis, an inflammation of the vein due to a clot. A clot is usually painful and the skin is red and inflamed, which doesn't seem to be the case here. However, given that a clot is a condition that needs immediate medical attention, I strongly recommend you see a doctor for direct evaluation.

If the clot is ruled out, better control of the hypertension, healthier diet and compression stockings would be the solution.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I would be happy to answer them.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ornela Ademovi