What causes raised SGPT levels when diagnosed with atopic eczema?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Dr.
My son is 17 year old. He has a bout of chicken pox 25 days back, cured and then had a bout of viral fever
10 days back. He is asthmatic and he developed red rashes all over body. We took him to a skin specialist and he diagnosed it as Atopic eczema and gave moisturisers, Betnovate, crotrax ointments. He asked us to do LFT. We also did his allergy test and the reading is 1000. Our main concern is his
SGPT is 64. Is this reading alarming. what should we do and what diet, medication he should take
Please advice
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild increase in liver enzymes,will settle soon

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
The SGPT levels are surely raised but they are not really alarming .
Whenever one develops any kind of viral illness ,some inflammation of the liver also occurs which can lead to a mild increase in the liver enzymes level. This seems to have occurred in your case too .
One needs to really worry ,if the levels are more than three times normal while in your case the SGPT is around two times increased . So this will most probably settle on its own as the body recovers from the viral illness .
He can take normal diet ,nothing specific needs to be taken .
But you surely need to be cautious and take care of certain things . In case your child has reduced appetite or nausea ,vomiting or develops yellowing of eyes,then you might have to see a physician or paediatric consultant .

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 14 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. Are the following medicines for skin that the doctor gave OK?

1. Apply mixture prepared from ( 20 gm Betnesol+60gm Crotorax+300 gm Moisturex) after bath

2. Teczine-M- at night 2 weeks

3. Halovate ointment - on hands and ankles

He did alleergy test and the reading is about 1000.

Please advice
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Since your child is hang atopic eczema, he has been very rightly prescribed topical steroid and moisturisers along with oral antihistamines .
You should surely take the treatment as advised .Your child is having an allergic skin disease due to which the blood allergy levels are high ,these will slowly decrease with treatment .
In addition ,apply plenty of moisturisers to his skin ,these will help in reducing dryness and skin allergy .

Dr Geetika Paul