What causes raised DGP-IgG levels in a child?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, are there any other conditions / causes besides celiac disease that can result in high levels of DGP IGG for a little boy. The DGP IGA and TTG IGA and TTG IGG results were all < 1 thank you
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cause other than celiac disease is not well known

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Welcome on HCM

I can understand your concern as this is a very confusing situation even for the physicians.
Anti-dGp IgG is considered to be most sensitive and early marker to detect celiac disease.I went through the literature and research articles after my previous conversation with you.
I found that it is the symptom of celiac disease which is more decision making rather than the test reports in such situations.
According to one large study which included over three thousand children,it has been seen that only Anti-dGp IgG was raised in some of them.In follow up many of them become negative for Anti-dGp over a period of 12-16 months,but those who became symptomatic(diarrhea,indigestion,poor growth,nutritional deficiencies)underwent biopsy and more than 95% of them were suggestive of celiac disease.
So it can be concluded from this and many other studies that although Anti-dGp is highly sensitive test for celiac, there are other causes also which can cause the raised level of dGp,but these are not well described and research is still going on.
There is one condition called IgA deficiency where you can get all other test negative because of low IgA levels.
Haplotype analysis and antiendomysial antibodies if comes positive also gives a clue to the diagnosis.
But the final thing is that whether symptoms of celiac disease are present or not.
So if symptoms appear/persistent consult your physician and discuss for the need of investigations like IgA levels,antiendomysial antibody,haplotype analysis and biopsy.Otherwise keep him in regular follow up with serial anti-dGp assessment.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.