What causes raised CA levels after having Doxil?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Question
Is it possible for doxil to raise ca-125 levels? I had read that ca-125 was not an accurate way to measure ovarian cancer progression or regression when being treated by doxil. Doxil.com said that treatment shouldn't be discontinued based on rising ca-125 levels until after treatment 4. My mother has had four treatments and her ca-125 levels have gone from the low 1000's at the first treatment to 2000 to 3000 to 4000 at this last test. Additionally, she is also taking an experimental drug that is supposed to train her immune system to attack the cancer. I was given the impression that ca-125 was the measure of an anti-body. Could a drug that effects the immune system affect her ca-125 levels?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Raising ca-125 levels suggest progressive disease

Detailed Answer:
ca-125 levels are raised in benign conditions also like-fibriod uterus,endometriosis,abdominal tuberculosis,ascites due to any cause etc.(any irritation of peritoneum raises ca-125 levels)

Considering the person had stage iv ovarian cancer and failed initial treatment,now having recurrence.
The rising ca-125 levels in the present situation are probably due to progressive disease. Doxil and experimental drug are not effective.

Consider symptomatic treatment as better option at this stage.

Good luck