What causes raised BP despite having normal ECG and how should it be treated?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am having weight 41 kg and height 5ft. I am having cough and cold since more than 15 years. For many years I was taking avil and the likes for my cough and cold. After that I started taking Dr. Reckweg r-84 for the same. My BP was on the higher side despite being underweight. Initially for two days I was experiencing dizziness when ever I tried to sleep on my left side. Suddenly the dizziness started in the morning and my BP XXXXXXX to 190. I went to the doctor who prescribed BP medicine and advised some tests, the report of which are attached. I am very restricted to veg diet with no junk foods. After getting up today morning I started sweating and nausea. Then I went to hospital on which doctor said that the ECG is normal and I don't need to worry but the medicine for BP will continue for a long time. Please advise me the cause and remedy.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Monitor BP regularly.

Detailed Answer:

Hi and welcome!

BP rise in your age can be just age related essential hypertension or a transient period of high BP due to associated condition.

I went through your blood works and found that you have some infection as you have high TLC.

I will suggest getting a urine routine examination done & to start with some antibiotics.

As you have associated cough and cold (it should be chronic sinusitis) but I would also recommend you to get a chest X-ray done, to rule out any possible lung condition.

We generally give combination of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid (Brand name - Augmentin) thrice daily for at least 5 days to start with.

I would also want to know what medication are you taking for BP. Also please monitor your BP twice daily to see whether you need this medicine or not or at how much dose.

In the meanwhile reduce salt in diet.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks and take care,
Dr. Sameer Maheshwari, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 3 days later
Dear Sir !
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am hereby attaching the reports of the tests you have suggested. For hypertension I am taking amlodipin+ amiloride. It seems some issue in the lungs. Please suggest if this has any thing to do with the BP. My BP is around 140/85 some times and some times normal. Also please inform how to proceed further.

Thanking you, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue the BP medication and monitor BP.

Detailed Answer:

Hi and welcome back!

For your age we consider a BP of <140/90 to be normal.

If your BP remains fine with the Amlodipine + Amiloride combination you can continue that and monitor BP at least once daily.

Lower salt in diet and exercise regularly.

X-ray shows hyperinflated lung. You can take the antibiotic I told you for 5 days.

Future course will depend on your BP and medicine dose will be adjusted accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Sameer Maheshwari, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng