What causes raise it SGPT and SGOT levels?

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My cousin33 years aged has 1700 SGPT and 1140SGOT he is very bad since 10 days, his best friend present the sama case since 10 days also. Is it a toxic hepatiti
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Hello! I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).This much increase in SGOT and SGPT are due to acute viral hepatitis or drug induced. I will advise you to visit a Hepatologist who will evaluate for any sign or symptoms of liver failure, and may advise tests for Hepatitis A, B, and E and Prothrombin time, LFT and ultrasound abdomen I hope I have answered your query and this will help you.
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 15 hours later
AgHBs was negative and doctor told there is hepatitis C without serology. Today, he has 960SGOT and 150 SGPT, he didnt ask for PT
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 10 days later
Brief Answer: Please see the details Detailed Answer: Hello! Sorry for delay I could not understand what you have mentioned or what your doctor has told you ----There is Hepatitis C without serology. If Hepatitis C is positive which rarely causes acute viral hepatitis spontaneously resolves in very less number of patients and progresses to chronic viral hepatitis. So I will advise you to get repeat serology after three months if still it is positive then he will require treatment for the same