What causes radiating thigh pain along with paresthesias after spine surgery?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had surgery in My to fuse and cage c3 to T2. It took two 5 hour operations done on Monday (front) and the Thursday (back) of the same week. During surgery I was strapped to a spinal surgical table that staff referred as a saddle.
Prior to the surgery I had arthritic hips; however, since the surgery I have a new issue of numbness and pain on the outside of both thighs and in the groin area on goth sides.
Would the surgical table be a cause of this new issue and should it resolve itself?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lumbar canal stenosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Yes, frequent change in position from prone to supine could have aggravated an arthritic spine as well.

The radiating pain is usually due to lumbar canal stenosis where the spinal nerve are held tight in a small compartment because of arthritic bone obstruction in the spine.

I suggest you get an Xray and MRI of the lumbosacral spine to find out.

Avoid bending forwards or lifting weights.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad