What causes radiating pain in the sternum after a chiropractic adjustment?

Pulmonologist
Question
I have had chiropractic adjustment . Pain at sternum radiating into right side of chest , feels like a deep muscle strain, hurts to take a deep breath. Pain also extends to the back . Chiropractor said I had ribs out of place the adj seems to help and rested for 2 days. then today after doing a mild Yoga workout it is painful again. coughing or sneezing is very painful. Laying flat on my back hurts and is hard to breathe on my back. Taking Motrin for the pain.I had walking pnuemonia 6 weeks ago with alot of hard coughing. started noticing some muscle soreness due to coughing , but not it feels like a DEEP muscle pain in chest - sternum area.
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
muscles contraction probably

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern

According to your provided history, in my opinion, first ribs problems should be excluded. For this, you can do a chest X-Ray in rotation position which is specific for ribs and the lungs can be seen too. If it is negative than ribs and lungs are excluded.

Then if it is muscles contraction physiotherapy or relaxing massage might help.For such pain, you can use painkiller patches attached to the area of pain and you will feel better. It might last for two-three days mostly in general.

I don't think this is so serious, no worries. Try the above and we can discuss again.

Hope a fast recovery for you

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Follow-up: What causes radiating pain in the sternum after a chiropractic adjustment? 14 minutes later
Thank you !!

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

You are welcome

Dr.Jolanda