• question-icon

What causes radiating pain in the left shoulder?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have pain radiating up and down my left shoulder. I think it is coming from my stomach. The pain is like a 5.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be angina also.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

I am Dr Rishu a cardiologist and would be answering your query.

As per query i would suggest you to go for few baseline tests of cardiology to rule out the possibility of angina.Angina is pain in chest caused due to obstruction of one of the three arteries supplying heart.
Some of the tests recommended are 2d echo and tread mill test.
Combined together the sensitivity of 2d echo and stress test to rule out cardiac disease is almost 80%.
Left sided chest pain/heaviness radiating to left hand or sholder in a 64 years old lady can be a classical feature of angina.
GERD can often mimic the symptoms yet to get a cardiac clearance initially should be top priority.
Once cleared from cardiac side treatment can be given on lines of GERD.

Follow up with reports.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist