Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

What causes radiating pain in the left knee in a person with arthritis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10598 Questions
Orthopedic question. I am a 75 year old female, who has had a total knee replacement on my left knee 10 years ago. I am experiencing pain in my left leg that starts in the front and inner part of my leg - my groin area - and also the front part of my leg. I also have had bursitis on the outside of this leg which is doing OK now. This pain is radiating down to my knee. It is difficult to stand up straight and walk without a lot of discomfort. When I am sitting down it is difficult to stand up,, along with trying to go up stairs. I also had my right hip replaced 8 years ago and it is doing fine. (All of this is due to my arthritis). I forget what the symptoms were at the time of that replacement. Could this current pain be indicating that the left hip is starting to need replacement also? In the past I have had a shot into the bursitis which really helped. What do you think is going on with this current situation? Would a steroid shot work on this? What do you suggest I do? Appreciate your help. XXXXXXX Fitzgerald - YYYY@YYYY
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to arthritis.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms that you have can be due to arthritis. This can be diagnosed after a CT scan of the hip. The symptoms that you have are mild and can be taken care of with pain killers, rest, regular physiotherapy and if needed steroid shots.
Do consult an orthopedician and get the proper medicines prescribed for an early improvement.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor