What causes radiating pain in the left knee in a person with arthritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Orthopedic question. I am a 75 year old female, who has had a total knee replacement on my left knee 10 years ago. I am experiencing pain in my left leg that starts in the front and inner part of my leg - my groin area - and also the front part of my leg. I also have had bursitis on the outside of this leg which is doing OK now. This pain is radiating down to my knee. It is difficult to stand up straight and walk without a lot of discomfort. When I am sitting down it is difficult to stand up,, along with trying to go up stairs. I also had my right hip replaced 8 years ago and it is doing fine. (All of this is due to my arthritis). I forget what the symptoms were at the time of that replacement. Could this current pain be indicating that the left hip is starting to need replacement also? In the past I have had a shot into the bursitis which really helped. What do you think is going on with this current situation? Would a steroid shot work on this? What do you suggest I do? Appreciate your help. XXXXXXX Fitzgerald - YYYY@YYYY
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to arthritis.

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms that you have can be due to arthritis. This can be diagnosed after a CT scan of the hip. The symptoms that you have are mild and can be taken care of with pain killers, rest, regular physiotherapy and if needed steroid shots.
Do consult an orthopedician and get the proper medicines prescribed for an early improvement.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal