question-icon

What causes radiating pain in lower back and hamstrings after driving?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: Hello,
For the past few weeks I have been waking up with bad lower back pain which sometimes I feel down to my hamstrings, throughout the day the pain pretty much goes away I even going running in the afternoons and have no pain.. I only feel it when I lay down for long periods of time or when I'm sitting driving sometimes. It went away for a week or so completely then a few days ago I woke up with the same pain again. do you know what's causing this?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Most probably a sciatica issue

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Your diagnosis is most probably sciatica, you can read up on the condition or write to me with any specific questions on the topic and I would be more than happy to help.

Let me list the causes for your reference sir:

+Strenuous exercise
+Herniated disc
+Bone spur
+Diabetes
+Weight gain
+Long durations of standing or being seated
and a few others.

Treatment for sciatica includes the following sir:

+Stretching
+Hot pack
+Cold pack
+Avoid tight fitted clothes
+Avoid strenuous exercise
+Avoid standing for long durations without movement, try stretching, flexing and extending your legs, or just sitting for sometime
+Avoid sitting for long durations, and if you have no option like when you are on a flight then exercise your feet to help with better blood circulation
+Use NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for the pain whenever you experience it (e.g. ibuprofen, nimesulide, acetaminophen, etc.)

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan